We are often asked whether a shed, workshop or garden room adds value to a property. With a huge surge in the number of homes utilising their outdoor space over recent years, the term ‘garden room‘ or ‘workshop‘ has instant buyer appeal and data suggests that it does indeed increase the value.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, garden rooms, studios, sheds and workshops particularly boomed, with people needing extra space as a place to work, exercise or a dedicated space for hobbies and interests. For example, online data highlighted the search term ‘garden office cost’ increasing by 200% during April 2020 and April 2021, when lockdowns were enforced. As garden buildings are quick and easy to build, and in most cases, avoid the need for planning permission, they can potentially add up to 5%, or 1.5 times the build cost to the value of your home. Do note there are exceptions for listed properties, and homes in designated areas such as conservation zones.
The cost to create a garden office can vary significantly dependent on specification, but average between £5,000 to £25,000. This may seem a lot at first glance, but in the long run it can add a significant amount to the value of your home – with reports ranging from 5-7%. Garden Rooms are now more than just home offices and gyms, they are an extension to the home, and also a great place to socialise or create a ‘me’ space. To tailor a garden room for all purposes is generally quite simple, but consideration in its functionality and design is critical. So what do you need to think of to create a work and home life, and to ensure that buyers appeal?
Buyers love the idea of having extra space outdoors, and an attractive garden building, shed or workshop not only creates a beautiful outdoor space, but one that can be made for all year round use. However, you need to curate that instant ‘wow’ factor as buyers do appreciate, and often prepared to pay more for homes featuring a quality garden room. Garden Rooms also help buyers envisage a space to work and relax whilst the main property may not quite work in its current state, for example, if renovation is needed. The important parts of any investment in a garden room is quality, craftsmanship and suitability. It is only a good investment when corners are not cut. Consider an appropriate size for your garden building, it if occupies too much of the outdoor space, it can be dominating and create a reverse effect, putting off some buyers. However, a small garden, can still benefit from a suitability designed home office studio shed, ideal for a good sized desk and working space. Practicality is fundamental in all considerations. Is their good access? Will it be overlooked by neighbours? Will it benefit from sunlight? Do you need to landscape the garden to accommodate? Will introducing a building create damp issues to the surrounding areas? Will it fit current furniture or will you need to buy new? How far is it to connect the electricity?
Aside from the initial investment and potential return upon selling your property, there are number of reasons to have a garden office/studio:
- Saves time and money. Less commuting will save significant money on travel tickets, fuel, wear and tear on your vehicle, as well as savings on incidentals such as coffees and snacks at transport hubs! In addition, the time saved on commuting provides more time with your family, pets and ability to do more. You’ll also save on the need for a new wardrobe every time you need to go to the office!
- Custom specification. You can create your ideal work environment by working with specialists to design a building to your needs. You’ll have complete autonomy on the external finishes, and the interior design, which in turn creates a professional environment suited to you, and maybe ideal to conduct meetings rather than in your spare bedroom or at the kitchen table.
- Reduces your carbon footprint. By working in a home garden office, you are reducing your carbon footprint, more so if you choose insulation as you will significantly reduce the need of electricity to heat the space in the winter months.
- Creating a Work/Home divide: A garden home office will give you a greater ability to switch off at the end of the day. If your office is in your home, then there is always the temptation to turn on your computer to just check a couple of emails and the next thing you know is it’s 10pm and you’ve spent no time with your loved ones. Having to physically leave the house and walk through your garden to your office will reduce the temptation. Once you finish for the day you can lock the office door and walk away.
- Flexibility and No Office Politics! Your garden room can give you the ability for flexible hours to manage other commitments such as childcare, tradespeople visiting your home, or taking deliveries. Additionally, working from home ensures you escape the office politics and are free to concentrate on your work.
- Tax Relief: Working from home may enable you to claim tax relief for additional household costs, or the VAT from the initial purchase. We are not experts in this field therefore please ensure you take professional advise from a qualified accountant or tax specialist!
Worcester Timber Products work with customers to design, manufacture and install custom made Garden Buildings, Studios and Workshops. The display area located on Hartlebury Trading Estate highlights the craftsmanship of the core shed range, and many of these can be adapted to create affordable home working solutions. Enhancements to the heavy duty sheds can include upgrading the cladding, installation of building insultation, different doors and windows, as well as investing in EPDM rubber roofing, guttering, electrics and more. Worcester Timber Products team are here to guide and support you, and also provide complimentary delivery and installation across the entire garden buildings range to customers located in zones 1 and 2 of our standard delivery areas; this includes B, CV, DY, GL, HR, WR, WS, WV postcode areas. Customers located out of these areas will be provided a detailed delivery and installation quotation.